July 5, 2011

To Flourish or not to Flourish?

When it comes to life, I tend to veer toward the more simple.  Not completely minimalistic but the really ornate stuff just doesn't do it for me.  I'm like that with decor, clothes, jewelry, and yes, calligraphy.  I do love a beautiful flourish, but I do think there can be too much of a good thing as with all things in life.

Here's a sample of a simple italic font in calligraphy:


These are the lyrics from "Love will keep us alive" by the Eagles.  A friend of mine sang this at our wedding.

Below is an example of "extreme flourish" and as the name suggests, it's very elaborate and detailed.

Ginny Moore Calligraphy Ink.
While both are beautiful, I prefer something in between: not too simple and not overly elaborate.  It really boils down to a matter of personal preference.  


What do you think?  Do you prefer the simplest of styles, the most elaborate or something middle of the road?  

No comments:

Post a Comment